Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Electronic component query - fuse resistor ?

wrote in message
robgraham wrote:
I've got a cassette deck - still used for educational material - that
has failed and it would appear that a device called a "fuse resistor"
in the voltage regulator circuit has gone open circuit. It's defined
as 3.3 ohms, 1/2w and the service manual indicates 1 volt across it,
indicating a current of 300ma.

Although RS stock something similar, there is not an immediate
replacement. Is there someone here who could advise me if I could
replace it with a 3.3 ohm resistor and a 500mA fuse ? I'm hoping of
course that it is just old age that has gone for it and not something
further down the line.

Thanks

Fusible resistors often fail for no good reason, although of course, there
may be be a downstream fault, which is what they are there to protect
against ...

I would say on average, that I replace at least 1 or 2 fusibles a month in
all sorts of audio equipment, and maybe a couple a year have failed for a
'real' reason. I wouldn't be *too* paranoid about getting exactly the right
value, nor about adding a fuse as well. As long as any replacement that you
fit is 'ballpark', it will still fail in short order, if a genuine fault
occurs at some time in the future. That said, you shouldn't have any problem
obtaining a replacement in a value of 3R3.

Arfa