Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Universal Wrench

aemeijers wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 13, 2:25 pm, NSN wrote:
Does anyone out there know where I can get a set of these Wrenches?
I have no idea of what they are called other than universal wrench.

I have attached a link to my photo.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3550/...a1f2b4ee_m.jpg

I got the one pictured one on E-bay about 5 years ago. I looked
through the McMaster-Carr catalog but could find nothing close. The
one shown is made by SONIC and is 7/8"-11/4".

Norm

There is a reason they don't have them at McMaster-Carr, it's because
they are junk. If you just want one wrench for many size bolts, get a
Crescent adjustable wrench at Home Depot. If you need better
wrenches, get a set of combination wrenches at Sears or wherever.

Ken

Agreed, and I won't even use a Crescent for anything that takes more
than a few pounds pull to loosen, other than maybe a square furniture
bolt or nut, gas valve, cleanout plug, or similar. Most are so sloppy
that roundoff is a real risk. Never had any luck with any of the various
flavors of universal wrenches over the years. The TV commercials never
show them being used on old nasty, rusty, rounded, greasy bolts, for a
reason.

For pipe plugs, I still prefer an 8-point socket.

Hey, maybe that's what I should use up all those Sears gift cards on...
I don't actually own any.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.