Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Electric motor shafts

On Mar 14, 9:18*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
...Sleeve bearings can be very hard to align if
you can't drill and ream them in one setup.

Copper water pipe out of the question then ? Worked before...I guess for
3/4" I should use something more sophisticated. I was thinking a couple of
bronze flanged bearings for $2 each in home-made pillow blocks. Not a good
idea?

Michael Koblic,

There's quite a gap between the hack methods I've tried and the ones I
usually suggest in print. I started building working models when I was
a litle kid with only hand tools, scrap wood, nails, pipe and tin can
metal. My windmills and water wheels might run a month between major
overhauls.

Copper may last longer if you tin the inside, like crude Babbitt. I
tightened up the spindle bearing on my AA/Sears lathe with solder
which has been good enough for the little use it gets.

Jim Wilkins