Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_2_] Steve Barker[_2_] is offline

Default Underground wiring

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Started digging and found the short in the wiring from my house that
runs 50 feet ± to the greenhouse. Standard 10-3 w/ ground (4 conductors
total) NOT direct burial. It's probably been there for about 40 years.

While I know the right solution (replace with direct burial, or conduit)
I do have to drill/fish/pull etc. under a 14 foot wide asphalt
driveway. If this were direct burial, or there any approved splice
methods that can be buried (2 foot cover) OR do I need to place a
utility box over the splice.

Any ideas appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

our feed to our detached had a splice from the get go. Dad soldered the
twisted connections, wrapped them with old fashioned friction tape, then
stuck the entire splice into a pound coffee can filled with roofing tar.
Buried the can, done. Been there almost 50 years, still fine.

steve