Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Underground wiring

On Mar 14, 1:16*pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
Started digging and found the short in the wiring from my house that runs 50
feet ± to the greenhouse. *Standard 10-3 w/ ground (4 conductors total) NOT
direct burial. *It's probably been there for about 40 years.

While I know the right solution (replace with direct burial, or conduit) I
do have to drill/fish/pull etc. under a 14 foot wide asphalt driveway. *If
this were direct burial, or there any approved splice methods that can be
buried (2 foot cover) OR do I need to place a utility box over the splice..

Any ideas appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

The old garden hose fastened to the conduit trick has been used by
countless people to bore under driveways, sidewalks, whatever. In your
case, with 1 1/2 pieces of conduit you're nicely through to the other
side, and left in place to pull or push your underground cable through
it. Pretty messy, but works like a charm. No splices, no future
failures. Your power company will have recommendations as to practical
burial depth of new wire.

Joe