Simon

Default Power tools in Europe (long)

"Robert MacKinnon" wrote in message
Simon (or anyone else)

Can you explain the reasoning behind that limitation -- that dado blades

are
not for use on machines with brakes? I have an Inca TS with the ability

take a dado blade and I'm thinking of adding an electronic brake the saw.
If there is a scientific reason why I shouldn't do this, I'd be interested
in knowing. But if this limitation is political, then I might persue

adding
the brake anways.

Hi Rob,
Here it is to the best of my current knowledge. As I understand it, you've
got 2 criteria here. A dado cutter on a table saw = blind cut, which
contravenes HSE directives so cannot be used in a workshop where you are
responsible for others safety, i.e commercial or industrial shops, Unless
the machine has an alternative guard and is designed for this process. In
other words, you can't do what Norm does, legally, in a woodworking shop in
the UK.
I don't have the time to look it up, or investigate, but you're welcome to.
http://www.wmsa.org.uk/index2.html
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/woodindx.htm
The 2nd thing that comes to mind is probably more important from your safety
point of view is that the dado puts added stresses on the braking system and
the spindle & collar when the brake is applied. Also, Dado cutters have free
moving chipping knives that would not be affected by the brake and would
continue to spin after the rest of the blade has stopped, once again causing
unwanted stresses on the saw, which could lead to failure of the spindle
nut, or spindle and could damage the blade, potentially leading metal
missiles.