Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Satellite alignment. Got Astra 1 but want Astra 2

Steve brought next idea :
Steve" wrote in message
Hi. I'm new to satellites and am doing a DIY installation.

I'm having problems aligning my new dish and wondered if anyone can advise.
I get very strong signals from Astra 1F at 19.2E and Astra 1E at 23.5E
with the same dish position - loads of channels. Signal strength and
quality are about 80% for both 1F and 1E.
cut
But I want 'Astra 2' at 28.2E and can't find it. My satellite-finder meter
give a very strong signal for the Astra 1s but reducing the elevation and
going east a few degrees gives only a weak signal the receiver doesn't
recognise.

cut
Steve

Thanks for the replies all.
To answer some of the points, I have plenty elevation (over 20deg over the
garage roof) from the dish to where I believe Astra2 is - the line of site is
unobstructed,. My suspicion about the 'thermal radiation' from the garage
roof arises because of the LNB offset: the LNB is well below the dish's axis,
so the line of site is well above the dish's axis, but the dish's axis points
towards the garage roof.
I'm using a hand-held satellite finder with a built-in meter and audible
signal, the thing 'screams' when pointing at Astra 1 but nothing for where I
believe Astra 2 is. And I do get both Astra1s (19.2 and 23.5) strongly from
the same dish position!
Oh well, will try again tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Steve

So far as I am aware there is no Astra at 23.5 - only the 19.2 and 28.?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)