Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray[_9_] Ray[_9_] is offline

Default Electricity- flickering, brief outage

On Mar 14, 9:18*am, sym wrote:
On Mar 11, 1:43*pm, Ray wrote:

On Mar 10, 2:59*am, mm wrote:

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 15:16:35 -0700 (PDT), Toasty

wrote:
. *I had an electrician tighten up
connections in the circuit breaker box, but he did not remove any and
reinstall any breakers. *
Could the problem be in a location in the box that is inaccessible
unless the breakers are removed?

I will have Con Edison (utility company) send a technician to inspect
their electric meter.

Why just the meter? *Why just connections in the breaker box.

Maybe you are omitting other things, but rather than direct your
electrician and Con Edison so much, I would tell them your problem and
ask them to solve it. * Of course you shouldn't give the electrician a
blank check, but 30 or 60 minutes to diagnose and tell you what he
thinks is wrong and a price for the rest of the job would have been
fair.

How do you know for sure it is only your house. *I have flickering
lights a couple times a month. *I'm sure it's the electric company's
failing, and not in my house.

The outages here shut down my computer sometimes. *This has been too
disruptive too often. I ask my next door neighbor if they noticed any
flickering after it occurs here, but they have reported no such
thing. *I'm not certain that the problem is with only my house,
though.

You're probably right about my directing the electrician too much.
Someone more aggressive might have suggested shutting off the power
and inspecting the main breakers, etc. *I ASSUMED that if he felt this
necessary to diagnose the problem, he'd suggest it. *Eh, I'll shut my
mouth next time and just ask him to do whatever is necessary to find
the source of trouble.

Con Edison reported that no other customers in the area filed any
complaints regarding flickering, outages. *They did mention something
about a "smoking manhole" problem in different parts of the city.
Sodium Chloride used to melt snow is corroding electrician lines,
according to Con Edison and this MIGHT be related to my electrical
problem. *Anyway, Con Edison says they won't send a technician here to
make any inspections until the "smoking manhole" problem is taken care
of first.

I'm going to stop acting as if I'm a licensed electrician and just LET
THE EXPERTS DO THEIR JOB!!!!- Hide quoted text -

i as an electrician appreciate any info i might get from my
customer,cant tell you how many times something they say can lead you
right to the problem. after my previous post i went on a service call,
found a bad connection at the service,i replaced all 3 connections
although only 1 was bad seems to of taken care of it. but it was all
the same symptoms you described.

My electrician was just here today and pulled Con Edison's meter and
tightened up connections in the box and applied some conductor
termination compound to the contacts where the meter plugs in. There
was no sign or arcing or corroded contacts in the electric meter.
Also, he pulled all the circuit breakers in the breaker box and
inspected the buss bars and all metal contacts. No sign of arcing,
annealing of metals, corrosion, no cracked or broken buss bars. All
connections tightened.

The lock on the electric meter was rusted shut, so a Con Ed tech
stopped by the other day and cut it off. That was the only corrosion
noticed with the meter.