Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bruce Ferguson Bruce Ferguson is offline

Default Opinions about a JET JWL-1236 Wood Lathe?

I also have a 1236 and it has been good to me. I am more of a hobbyist
an I am not on it all the time. I also have wished for slower speed and
larger swing. Mine is on the original stand so I built boxes for the
feet to raise it off the ground. I have made a shelf and have put sand
bags and weight lifting plates on it. I have wished for a hand wheel
for the headstock, but have not called to see if one was made for it. I
have just one caution. It comes with a swivel head and was advertised
it could be turned 90 degrees for outboard turning. It also came with
and extension for the tool rest. The problem is it is made of cast
iron. I tried the outboard turning with the extension till I got a
catch and the extension broke and it and the tool rest bounced off my
foot. Luck nothing was broken, on my foot I mean . Now I use the
swivel to get a better angel when I am working over the bed. Other than
that I have enjoyed it. This may be minor but it runs on a 110 Vac
which I have in the garage. I lust after the bigger, better more power
type lathes, but that means some how getting 220Vac to the garage when
the breaker/meter panel is on the other side of the house. I think you
would enjoy this more than the little mini-lathes. Good luck with what
ever you choose.

Bruce

John wrote:
In message , Maxwell Lol
writes
The banjo is fine, but some times I wish the banjo shaft was a little
longer.

There seems to be 2 variants on the banjo fitted. It relates to the
washer that goes between nut and bed to provide grip,. In one case it is
round, and one which is rectangular. The round one provides far less
grip than the rectangular version

This also applies to the tail stock assembly.