Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Steve is offline

Default Satellite alignment. Got Astra 1 but want Astra 2

Hi. I'm new to satellites and am doing a DIY installation.

I'm having problems aligning my new dish and wondered if anyone can advise.
I get very strong signals from Astra 1F at 19.2E and Astra 1E at 23.5E with
the same dish position - loads of channels. Signal strength and quality are
about 80% for both 1F and 1E.

But I want 'Astra 2' at 28.2E and can't find it. My satellite-finder meter
give a very strong signal for the Astra 1s but reducing the elevation and
going east a few degrees gives only a weak signal the receiver doesn't
recognise.

A couple of questions occur to me:

1. When I point the dish at the Astra 1s, the dish is vertical, as the
offset angle equals the elevation (about 24deg). Astra 2 has a smaller
elevation so I have to point the dish downwards and I get a lot background
radiation from the garage roof when the dish is pointing downwards. Could
this mask Astra 2? If so I'd have to raise the dish's height or change it
for one with a smaller offset angle. Aargh.

2 Is Astra 2's signal strength a lot weaker than Astra 1s? So should I be
looking for a much weaker signal than my meter gives for the Astra 1s? With
the Astra1s, the signal is so strong that the meter is off the scale even
with the sensitivity fully down.

For information I'm in the UK (Devon) which is Zone 1. I have a new 60cm
dish and a new Labgear DV3 receiver.

Suggestions gratefully received.

Steve