Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Failure of Rechargeable Battery

Ed wrote:

I have a set of four rechargeable AA batteries for my digital camera.
One of the four will not hold a charge. I recall reading that
batteries should not be mixed, although I don't know if that means not
to mix fully charged with partly charged, or if it refers to mixing
brands or models. Can I replace the one bad one with a new battery or
do I have to throw them all away and start fresh? Thanks.

I'd try to keep the charge/discharge more or less even. I buy my
NiMH batteries 12 at a time & keep them in a 3 sets of 4. Usually
by the time one cell goes bad [hundreds of cycles] I check
http://thomasdistributing.com/ and find out that the new NiMH's have
significantly higher milli-amps so I get a new set.

If your batteries aren't holding a charge- be sure to check your
charger. Make sure all contacts are clean and that it is made to
maintain a charge in whatever kind of rechargeable you're using.

Jim