Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default drywall which got wet

"David Nebenzahl" wrote
cshenk spake thus:

I ask because my Mom taught me that's bad juju. Pretty much put oil
over oil. It was a bear when we had to paint a chair rail and window
setup that was oil based before and we needed to put latex over it.
Had to sand the dickens out of it to make it work.

Are you sure the oil-based paint you were painting over wasn't primer but
was glossy or semi-gloss? You're going to have problems painting over
*any* type of non-flat previous coat; that's why you're supposed to use a
deglosser (or scuff the finish) first.

LOL! Pretty sure it was a gloss oil base we were covering. Painful job to
do! I was about 11 at the time and not big enough for the heavier jobs yet
so go that one.

Best I can recall there were 13 windows to deal with alone upstairs and not
sure how many in the back of the basement. Took me about 1.5 hours of
reasonably hard work per window to get it sanded down. (Mom flipped houses
for a living then, not that that term existed then).