Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Sealing/coatong cabinet interiors under kitchen sink

Steve Barker wrote:
Zz Yzx wrote:
How/Why:

Leaky kitchen sink pipes.
Unfinished particle board cabinet floor, MDF sides.
Shelf liner wudn't 'dat good.

Result:

Soaked particle board cabinet floor.

Remedial action:

Dried out with fan and light bulbs.
Sanded off punky particle board with ROS.

Current status:

Cabinet floor is mostly smooth and dry with some small patches
of dry but rough and a little punky PB.

Limitations:

Replacing cabinets is NOT an option just now.

Question:

What is best solution and prophylactic action? I'm thinking
of sealing the particle board and MDF with something (shellac, wood
preservaticve, &tc,. ???), then coating with a primer (Kilz?), then
painting with a quality oil-based paint.

Any suggestions?

Again, thanks a heap,
-Zz

just the oil based kilz and then any latex will seal 'er up. I wouldn't
do the shellac or wood preservative.

Go to Sam's or Gordon's or whatever local place sells restaurant
supplies to the public. Buy 1 or 2 or those gray plastic tubs they sell
for busboys to use, whatever combination they have that will fit through
the doors into your cabinet. Put them under the drip points for sink.
Added advantage- you can fill them with cleaning supplies, and when
those leak, they will not soak into the cabinet floor either. You can
also slide them out like drawers to reach the stuff in the back. If the
busboy tubs are too big for your cabinet, plastic wash tubs, catbox
pans, etc, come in other sizes and would also work.

--
aem sends...