ELAhrens

Default Novice Hand Planer & Tearout

Ya know, I did the exact same thing, same plane, the whole nine yards. After
reading the wreck and getting REALLY GOOD ADVICE while lurking, I discovered
the plane base is not flat. There is a big bow just behind the front handle.
I can see 1/32" daylight when I put a straight edge across it!!!! From the
cutter mouth back it is flat. I don't know whether to throw it into the
"garage sale" pile or try to smooth it out. I know you get what ya pay for,
and I got crap!

There is a woodworking show this weekend in Tacoma. I'm going and on my
shopping list are 2 GOOD planes. Tonight I'll spend a little time on the
"scary-sharp" system and see what I can do with the POS I have.

Erik Ahrens
Apprentice Termite

"Iraxl Enb" wrote in message
I wanted to try my hand at hand planes (no pun intended), so went
to the borg and got a el-cheapo plane (6.5 inch buck bros, made
in USA, ~$12).

Got home and tried it on a scrap piece of 2x2, and after some
sharpening and adjusting could get very thin shavings off the wood.

Heres the problem - while most of the surface was satisfactorily
smooth, there were portions with tear-outs, that just got worse
on more planing. Is this related to the wood, sharpness of the
blade, depth of the blade, or technique?

DGS-ed, but couldnt find anything that might point to what I can
do to get better results...

Thanks,
Irax.