Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Up North[_2_] Up North[_2_] is offline

Default Machine a bearing?? - Ford Major Diesel 2 stage clutch bearing

"Up North" wrote in message

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote in message

I posted this in another newsgroup, but thought I'd try here as well
since some of you guys have done some unusual things before or know a
workaround that isn't obvious.

I'm posting for a fellow scrounge who asked if I knew a way to machine
the ID of a clutch (throwout?) bearing from 2.5" to 2.75"

He can't find a bearing to match so he asked if the inner race of a
bearing that's a close match could be machined to a larger diameter.
There is no external lip to grab the inner race in a chuck to hold it,
so it would have to be held internally on one end. The race is 3/4"
long. Machine in from one end, then turn it around and machine the
other side till they meet in the middle. My thought was a toolpost
grinder and a lathe until I heard that he needs to increase the
diameter by 0.250. I don't know if a carbide boring bar would machine
a bearing or not. Is it doable with a toolpost grinder / die grinder
held in the toolpost? Has anybody ever done this with a bearing?

For more detail. This is a clutch bearing for a Ford Major Diesel
tractor built in 1964. It has a 2 stage clutch and that's where the
problem is. Parts for the single stage clutches apparently are
available, but not for the 2 stage clutches he says. He's checked with
a national bearing supplier or two and the guys say they can't match
the bearing. The closest a supplier has is the one mentioned above
that would need to be machined larger - there's enough metal in the
inner race to do it. The shaft / support that the bearing rides on
cannot be made smaller he says. If there's a little known supplier of
unobtainable bearings or another known workaround to this problem in
Ford tractors rather than machining a bearing, he'd be all ears.

Thanks

RWL

You may have already been here but these guys are a good resource.
http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit....ford&th=305623
Steve

I did another search and there seems to be a company called Bare - Co or
Sparex that sells parts for these tractors. Hope this helps.
http://search.yesterdaystractors.com...01&lastrec=125
Steve