Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_2_] Steve Barker[_2_] is offline

Default Sealing/coatong cabinet interiors under kitchen sink

Zz Yzx wrote:
How/Why:

Leaky kitchen sink pipes.
Unfinished particle board cabinet floor, MDF sides.
Shelf liner wudn't 'dat good.

Result:

Soaked particle board cabinet floor.

Remedial action:

Dried out with fan and light bulbs.
Sanded off punky particle board with ROS.

Current status:

Cabinet floor is mostly smooth and dry with some small patches
of dry but rough and a little punky PB.

Limitations:

Replacing cabinets is NOT an option just now.

Question:

What is best solution and prophylactic action? I'm thinking
of sealing the particle board and MDF with something (shellac, wood
preservaticve, &tc,. ???), then coating with a primer (Kilz?), then
painting with a quality oil-based paint.

Any suggestions?

Again, thanks a heap,
-Zz

just the oil based kilz and then any latex will seal 'er up. I wouldn't
do the shellac or wood preservative.