Posted to alt.home.repair
clot clot is offline

Default aerate clay soil

wrote:
I'm posting this here in case anyone searches Google for help aerating
clay soil and needs ideas. This worked great for me and I'd like to
share it.

A snip

What finally worked great was to use a 1-inch auger drill bit with my
power drill:
http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/p...8_front200.jpg
(You need an auger bit, not a paddle bit, because you need the dirt to
be pulled out of the hole.)
Using this, I was able to properly aerate the front and back lawns in
about 4 hours. Hope this helps anyone else in a similar dilemma!

This is a relatively short term fix. The clay is still clay. You need to
improve the soil. Try brushing/ raking a mix of sand and compost into the
holes which will keep the holes open longer and also aid biological activity
in the soil..