Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_2_] Baron[_2_] is offline

Default Anglepoise/ Luxo inspection lamp problem

Arfa Daily wrote:

"N_Cook" wrote in message

I'm sure there must be plenty more who use these.
Heavy glass lens, circular fluorescent lamp etc on 2 off 18 inch long
sets of arms with springs. However much you tighten up the central
clamp the top
arm sags down in use, especially when you rotate the whole lamp or
the angle
of the head.
Place a dense rubber tap washer under the nut of this clamp. Changing
the angle of the arms is then stiffer but I prefer that, to sagging
in use. Anyone else have any other ideas that retain full
functionality.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

I have two genuine Terry's Anglepoise lamps, both of which go back
many years. Both of them suffer as you describe occasionally, but I
have always found that re-tightening the Nyloc nuts at the joints,
cures mine for another year or so. I wonder if that's because the
'head' on the lamp weighs a lot less than on the magnifier version ?
Do radio studios suffer a similar problem ? They seem to use exactly
the same arm mechanism for presenters' mics, and I would guess that
some of them with spring mounts and baffles, must be as heavy as the
magnifier lamp heads.

Arfa

Thats all I do with mine, Just tighten the nuts at the joints ! The
same with the Ledu magnifier lamp. I have noticed that over the years
the metal has started to erode at the joints.

I did a repair for a friend who's lamp broke at one of the joints, by
inserting a short length of solid bar inside the square tube. I glued
it in place with super glue after drilling the through hole.

You have to get the nuts tightened just right or it won't adjust at all.
I ended up putting fiber washers between the faces so that it would
move and stay put.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.