Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Anglepoise/ Luxo inspection lamp proble

Ron wrote in message
news
N_Cook wrote:
I'm sure there must be plenty more who use these.
Heavy glass lens, circular fluorescent lamp etc on 2 off 18 inch long

sets
of arms with springs. However much you tighten up the central clamp the

top
arm sags down in use, especially when you rotate the whole lamp or the

angle
of the head.
Place a dense rubber tap washer under the nut of this clamp. Changing

the
angle of the arms is then stiffer but I prefer that, to sagging in use.
Anyone else have any other ideas that retain full functionality.

Replace or shorten the springs, or do what I did as a temporary measure
(years ago and it's still there) stick a pen bewteen the two top springs
and the top of the upper arm!

Ron

That seems to work. In effect stretching the springs a bit. I chopped off a
bit of 12 mm hard/high temp hotmelt glue stick and cable-tied in place, a
tie around a loop of each spring. Pen barrel was not big enough

Incidently for the usual "domestic" source of hotmelt glue sticks , usually
no temp indication.
Low melt ones , start melting at 90 degree c, translucent
or dyestuff coloured ones that easily double over in the length of
195mm requiring a force of about 1Kg (on set of scales).
High temperature ones tend to be naturally creamy colour ,
melting at 150 degree C, and much stiffer to bend, about
2.5Kg over 195mm length.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England