Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Anglepoise/ Luxo inspection lamp proble

"N_Cook" wrote in message

I'm sure there must be plenty more who use these.
Heavy glass lens, circular fluorescent lamp etc on 2 off 18 inch long sets
of arms with springs. However much you tighten up the central clamp the
top
arm sags down in use, especially when you rotate the whole lamp or the
angle
of the head.
Place a dense rubber tap washer under the nut of this clamp. Changing the
angle of the arms is then stiffer but I prefer that, to sagging in use.
Anyone else have any other ideas that retain full functionality.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

I have two genuine Terry's Anglepoise lamps, both of which go back many
years. Both of them suffer as you describe occasionally, but I have always
found that re-tightening the Nyloc nuts at the joints, cures mine for
another year or so. I wonder if that's because the 'head' on the lamp weighs
a lot less than on the magnifier version ? Do radio studios suffer a similar
problem ? They seem to use exactly the same arm mechanism for presenters'
mics, and I would guess that some of them with spring mounts and baffles,
must be as heavy as the magnifier lamp heads.

Arfa