Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default Fun with epoxy resin

On Mar 14, 12:01 am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Matty F wrote:

It's a very liquid epoxy resin with a hardener added in a 5:1 ratio.
The amounts have to be precise or it won't set. I coloured it with
blue and yellow pigment because I didn't have green.

Then it possibly isn't epoxy,.

Epoxy is not 'hardened' by a catalytic hardener,. It sets by direct
chemical reaction between two precisley mixed constituents. The mixture
ratio is crucial.

That's what I just said. It is epoxy.

Beware of the propensity of resins like these to carbonise and track.

Structurally its a good material, but I have some reservations about
electrical properties.

I made 33kV insulators using epoxy resin 40 years ago and they are
still fine.
I tested insulation to 80kV and epoxy was almost the best insulator
there is.