Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default Fun with epoxy resin

On Mar 13, 11:01 pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 13 Mar, 03:15, Matty F wrote:

The epoxy turns up nicely on a lathe as long as you don't add silica
or anything that blunts metal tools.

Phenolic microballoons (from West System) are good as a filler if you
need to machine it afterwards.

The epoxy seems to be very strong. The bolt inside has a flange so
that even if all the insulation broke off it the bolt cannot pull
through the support that is holding it up. In that case the circuit
breaker for the power supply would trip.
The old insulation is made from asbestos and maybe mica and some
horrible compound that breaks easily when I hit it with a hammer. The
epoxy does not break when I hit it with a hammer!