Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fun with epoxy resin

In article ,
Matty F writes:

It's a very liquid epoxy resin with a hardener added in a 5:1 ratio.
The amounts have to be precise or it won't set. I coloured it with
blue and yellow pigment because I didn't have green.

The epoxy doesn't stick to the plastic pipe that goes under a sink.
That's actually where the pipe I used came from!

I tried a fast hardener but it got very hot and started smoking so I
had to dowse it in the sink.

My father used to use epoxy for encasing electrical assemblies,
some of these very large. One of the key factors is working out
what setting time you need so the body of the epoxy can conduct
the heat away at a rate which is fast enough to not over-heat.
Epoxy isn't a good heat conductor anyway, and with the reaction
being exothermic, and with increasing temperature making it run
faster, it's very easy to have to run away, and wreck whatever
you're encapsulating and have the epoxy crack itself. I believe
some of the larger ones were designed to take weeks to set, in
order to stay cool and stable during the process.

back in the top. The third one was successful. I patched the others up
and here they all a

http://i41.tinypic.com/ea1u1s.jpg

The old insulators have had a hard life. If you are very clever you'll
know what they are and why they are broken!

I was wondering.

--
Andrew Gabriel