Posted to alt.home.repair

Default drywall which got wet

On 3/12/2009 10:10 AM cshenk spake thus:

"Red Green" wrote

If you insist on only sanding and painting over it, prime with oil base
primer. This will keep the paper from getting wet and bubbling further
when it gets wet again from painting/mudding.

Question, have you had much luck putting latex over oil based primer?

I have. It works fine. (Assuming you use a good paint over a good
primer.) Remember that the primer finish is very flat, which gives a
good "tooth" for subsequent coats to adhere to.

I also know a professional house painter who does that (oil primer/latex
topcoat). And he knows a *hell* of a lot more about paint than me.

I ask because my Mom taught me that's bad juju. Pretty much put oil
over oil. It was a bear when we had to paint a chair rail and window
setup that was oil based before and we needed to put latex over it.
Had to sand the dickens out of it to make it work.

Are you sure the oil-based paint you were painting over wasn't primer
but was glossy or semi-gloss? You're going to have problems painting
over *any* type of non-flat previous coat; that's why you're supposed to
use a deglosser (or scuff the finish) first.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)