Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Floating neutral or wiring problem?

"scorpster" wrote in message
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hmmm,
Your mistake was using that Fluke with too an input impedance.
One reason I still often use Simpson 260. Some times El Cheapo
anlog meter is better in such as our case.

Which readings would have most likely been different if I had used a
better measuring device? I thought the Fluke multimeters were pretty good
but it sounds like high voltage electrical is more tender.

Fluke makes excellent meters and test instruments. I have a couple at home
and 3 differant types of testers at work. One is a very good modle 87 , one
a simple digital volt and ohm meter with an amp probe, and one I like the
best is really simple. It has several leds on it and tells if you have AC,
Dc nad a very rough indication of the voltage,or low resistance in the
circuit. I also use some of their high end (over $ 4000) calibration
instruments. I deal with almost all kinds of industrial electricity.
Everything from low voltage 4 to 20 miliamp signals to 480 volt 3 phase
circuits at 500 amps or so. Also some 4160 volt circuits and while I have
not done anything with it, we do have some 13,200 volt main feeders to deal
with.

YOu just have to know how and when to use the meters. For most simple AC
problems I use the old Simpson 260. If I suspect a false reading due to
induced voltage I change the scale and if the meter stays in about the same
place , it is induced voltage.