Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Floating neutral or wiring problem?

On Mar 12, 12:02*am, "scorpster" wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message

I'll say it again. You need to check voltage across the main wires coming
in. You want to test the wires before the fuses, not after the fuses, not
at any outlet or dryer or range or anything else. If you don't have 240
volts across the two hot legs at the point that they come in, it's not an
internal problem

Indeed that was the best diagnostic clue, to measure the voltage at the hot
legs before the fuses. *I bet that most people don't think to check that
because it is not so common to have broken connections at the phone pole,
and a lot more common to have blown fuses. *In this case turned out to be
the neighbor's trees pulling on the phone pole wires, see my post below....

Looking outside at the light pole my have been a good clue too.

Jimmie