Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default sloppy Kwikset lock

If the D strike has a "tongue" inside the latch hole, it is often
used to fine tune the latch point. Just reach in with a small
screwdriver or similar and bend the tab slightly.

..1 of an inch is less than 1/8". That would seem a normal
tolerance in my opinion.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"E Z Peaces" wrote in message
My front door hasn't sealed well since I replaced the knob/latch
with a Kwikset Tylo. The latching tongue has so much slop that
after I push the door closed far enough to latch, the latch lets
it come open about 2.5mm (0.1"). My weatherstripping doesn't
have that much elasticity.

Is this just a bad design? Can the play be reduced?