Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Table Saw Blade won't Tighten

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Leon wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Two wild ass guesses:

1. Is the nut reverse threaded such that actually RUNNING the saw
tightens the nut? If I was building a saw without a way to grab the
shaft, that's the way I'd design it.

It will be reverse thread if it is a right tilt or if the nut is on
the left side of the blade, in the case of a circular saw.

All arbot nuts tighten in the reverse dirrection that the blade
spins. If the nut is on the right, the nut tightens clockwise. If
the nut is on the left it tightens counter clockwise.

Right. I was thinking only of my saw. A better way of putting it to the OP
is "Well, so you can't tighten it. So what? Just snug it up and the
running of the saw will secure the nut... Probably. Wouldn't hurt to stand
clear the first time, though."

For some reason I have lost the OP's opening comment however IIRC he had a
problem of getting the nut tight enough that the blade would not free spin.
That can easily happen of the threads have debris in them. My current saw
has 2 wrenches and after using magnetic shims on a dado set I have
witnessed the arbor nut giving enough resistance that 2 wrenches were
required to snug up the nut. I noticed that the shim hole was no longer
"round" and found a piece of it in the threads of the arbor. Being
magnetic it did not fall out. I have learned to stick the shim on to the
blade prior to mounting on the arbor vs. sliding the shim on the arbor by
itself.