Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Cut Outs

On Mar 11, 8:41*am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
Mostly my mill has been used for engraving, although I've used it to shape a
few custom pieces. *Recently I ran into a problem though. *I starting
cutting some stencils with it. *I found milling off a block of wood flat,
and then securing my sheet to that worked fairly well, but when working with
metal I've had a hard time figuring out how to secure the pieces

Two classic solutions: jeweler's wax (black hot-melt adhesive) can
hold a sheet firmly, but let go with gentle heating (like, on a hot
plate).
Coolant is required, of course.

Also, electrochemical machining (i.e. make a stencil, use it to
apply a mask, then etch in appropriate reagent). Copper and stainless
etch well with FeCl, and a little electric current and salt water
made washers from stainless shim stock last time I needed those.