Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Free design engineering book

On 2009-03-12, Leon Fisk wrote:
On 11 Mar 2009 21:48:31 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

snip
The qt-x11 claims to support Sun's Solaris, so we'll see. Only
the 32-bit version, but the UltraSPARC can run both 32-bit and 64-bit,
with the 64-bit being a bit faster.

Good luck with all of that. Sorry I'm not much help. I'm
pretty good at keeping my old WinNT4 running, but that
doesn't help you any.

Nope -- but I expect problems with newer software standards. :-)

snip
I don't have GraphicsMagik, but I do have ImageMagick, and it
was one of the ones which I tested on the jp2 files I downloaded. It
simply complained that I did not have a codec for jpeg-2000.

ImageMagick is suppose to have support for jp2 now. It turns
up (jp2) here and there nowadays. I wouldn't knock yourself
out trying to support it. Sooner or later though you will
need it for something you really want.

O.K. Perhaps I'll get the latest and try my hand at compiling
it -- assuming that it does not require the same libs which I'm already
having trouble compiling.

The "qt" package compile halted wit the following summary of
errors:

"glextensions.h", line 188: Error: GLsizeiptr is not defined.
"glextensions.h", line 188: Error: A declaration does not specify a tag or an identifier.
"glextensions.h", line 188: Error: Use ";" to terminate declarations.
"glextensions.h", line 188: Error: A declaration was expected instead of ")".
"glbuffers.h", line 142: Warning: GLRenderTargetCube::failed hides the virtual function GLTextu:failed() const.
"glbuffers.h", line 153: Warning: Identifier expected instead of "}".

At least it is all in a single file -- perhaps I can dig through
it and find the problems. O.K. Line 188 says:

typedef void (APIENTRY *_glBufferData) (GLenum, GLsizeiptr, const GLvoid *, GLenum);

so perhaps I need to find where GLsizeiptr is supposed to be defined.
Whatever it is, it is screwing up the syntax of that line.

And it turns out to be in the "demos" subdirectory, so I could
probably live without it. :-)

snip
Getting newer software is such a pain when I have to download
and compile a half dozen libraries before I can compile the desired
software. And often, those half dozen libraries need another half dozen
before I can compile *them*.

I can relate in a way. A lot of the Windows stuff won't
directly run on NT4 anymore. MS has seen to it that the
newer compilers they sell don't build compatible executables
unless you jump through hoops first. Thus most programmers
don't bother making builds that are compatible with the NT4
libraries/dll's. With a bit of creative hacking I can
sometimes get them to run anyway...

There -- it is a case of Microsoft apparently intentionally
making support more difficult.

Here -- it is writers of packages depending on a ton of other
packages which typically come with some linux distribution or other, but
which you have to find, fight through the linux/unix differences, and
force to compile before you can move on to the next stage.

It used to be fairly easy to wade through all the open source
programs and to get most of them to work. Now, there are so many
choices, some mutually incompatible, that it is getting more and more
difficult -- almost easier to write the software from scratch yourself. :-)

snip
JPEG 2000 has been published as an ISO standard, ISO/IEC 15444. As of
2008, JPEG 2000 is not widely supported in web browsers, and hence is
not generally used on the World Wide Web.

Every so often I see people requesting for Opera to start
supporting jpeg 2000 directly. I follow/read several of
their newsgroups. Eventually I suspect it will be supported
by one of the big web browsers. The rest will have more
incentive to follow suit then.

Hmmm .... I just downloaded and installed Opera 9.64. I wonder
whether that was a security hole fix, or a significant addition?

I do know that they have two problems with the static version
for Solaris:

1) A file is present, but not in the directory which the install
script looks in.

2) It uses an option to grep "-q" which is not present in the
standard version -- only in the version in /usr/xpg4/bin/.

The solution to the first is adding a symlink before running the
script.

The solutions to the second a

a) Add "/usr/xpg4/bin/" in front of "grep" the one place
where the "-q" option is used.

b) Add to the start of the script a line adding
"/usr/xpg4/bin/" to the beginning of the path.

I've reported this problem to them once or twice, but it
continues to occur.

snip
O.K. I've still got to compile the qt package to use the
java version. I'm tossing it at the compiler, but if I hit any
problems, it is going to wait until after the surgeries are complete. :-)

Best of luck with the eye surgery. Your comments and
expertise will be missed, hopefully for only a very short
while

Thanks!

Hopefully. I'll be at least spending a month with unbalance
vision. The cataracts have shifted the natural focus from "sharp at a
distance" to "sharp at 10", and the replacement lenses are supposed to
give me something close to "sharp at a distance" again, so one eye will
be very different from the other.

But if the surgery goes well (I've apparently got rather
advanced cataracts, and this made it difficult to get a good measurement
of the lens capsules, and may make removing the remains of the old lens
more difficult as well), then I should have the eye on the side which
faces the computer monitor (on an arm beside my chair, and quite
difficult to switch to the other side) back to somewhere that I can use
my own glasses instead of my wife's glasses for the computer.

I found it interesting that the cataracts shift the focus.
Apparently they add volume in the lens cell, thus making it fatter and
thus shifting to a much closer focus.

Thanks again,
DoN.

P.S. Scheduling my surgery for 8:45 AM, with me needing to be at the
surgery at 7:15 AM, and with me accustomed to going to bed at
2:00 AM and getting up at 12:00 or 1:00 PM means that I'm going
to get very little sleep tonight. :-(

At least the *surgeon* should be quite alert, which is what
matters. :-)

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564