Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Floating neutral or wiring problem?

metspitzer wrote:
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:29:38 -0500, "HeyBub"

I knew a professional electrician who always used his fingers to
test live wires. He had the best equipment, but yet he always did
the finger mrthod. I never understood that, when a $3 neon tester
can be clipped on your shirt pocket and always be handy. Later in
life he developed heart problems, and after several open heart
surgeries, it killed him. I always wonder if all those shocks were
the reason?

In a way. All those shocks over the years built up his resistance to
electricity such that the defibrillators in the hospital had no
effect.

cite?

Your body does not build up a resistance to electricity. Your hands
can be dry and more fibrous which gives them more resistance, but
this has nothing to do with "immunity" to electricity.

You're probably right. There are people who have been exposed to lightning
strikes which must be thousands of amps and dozens of kilovolts, while
others have died handling batteries that go in watches.

I suspect it's more of a genetic immunity than it is an acquired tolerance,
possibly an evolutionary adaptation by carpet dwellers.

Someone should look into this.