Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Floating neutral or wiring problem?

wrote:

Wouldn't that resistor get hot pretty fast when across 110v or 220v?
Seems to me it would have to be a pretty large wattage resistor, not
just a quarter or half watt one. And even a heavy duty 50W resistor
would probably get hot enough to burn your skin really fast.

Not if the resistance was quite high.

If I = E/R where E=220 and R=(more zeros than the stimulus) the resulting I
(current) is teeny.

If R = (say) 220K, you get I = 220 / 220,000 = 1 ma.

Power, then, is EI = 220 x .001 = .220 watts or 1/4 watt.

I think
I'd rather get a $10 cheap meter. Besides that, a costly Fluke
digital meter is too costly to use on a construction job where it will
likely get dropped or worse. I'd rather leave it on the bench, and
use a cheap meter that wont make you cry if you drop it