Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Floating neutral or wiring problem?

wrote:

I knew a professional electrician who always used his fingers to test
live wires. He had the best equipment, but yet he always did the
finger mrthod. I never understood that, when a $3 neon tester can be
clipped on your shirt pocket and always be handy. Later in life he
developed heart problems, and after several open heart surgeries, it
killed him. I always wonder if all those shocks were the reason?

In a way. All those shocks over the years built up his resistance to
electricity such that the defibrillators in the hospital had no effect.

I recall hearing, years ago, about a California inmate, sentenced to die,
who built up his tolerance to electricity. Over several months, starting
with tiny batteries, he was able to withstand the maximum voltage to which
he had access (440v I think). Smiling, he went to the execution chamber,
secure in his secret knowledge. It was only then he discovered there were no
electrical outlets in the gas chamber...