Posted to alt.home.repair
kenannwalters kenannwalters is offline

Default How to repair gutter nails

"LouB" wrote in message
Van Chocstraw wrote:
Christopher Nelson wrote:
We had a big thaw around Albany, NY last week and I got out in my
backyard to look around a little at what winter did to the yard. The
yard is OK but I noticed that half of the nails holding the gutter up
on my 3-season porch are backed out an inch or so. They are so loose
I can push them back in or grab them and pull them out with my hand.
I can't easily move them -- I'd leave a big hole in the side of lip of
the gutter where the nail used to be -- so I imagine I have to replace
or reinforce them. I didn't take the gutter down but there doesn't
seem to be any damage to the eaves. I'll replace the front of the
eaves if I must but that seems like overkill. Any recommendations?

Pull them out, pump the hole full of liquid nails, then put them back
in. I never did it, but it sounds good.

Yabut will that stuff take being wet as well as freezing / thawing?

Lou

Replace spikes (nails) with brackets, called hidden hangers in some
locations. The hanger has a hook to attatch to the front of the gutter and
is folded over to fit behind and inside the back of the gutter. Don't worry
about making the fold fit behind the gutter, just hook it on front where
gutter is rolled to the inside and laying against the inside back. Use hex
head screws in hanger through the back of the gutter and into the fascia of
the house. The screws at least an inch long will not work out as easy as
nails but are easy to remove when you have to remove gutter from house.