Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default Air compressor fittings and hose

wrote in message
On Mar 8, 10:19 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
One more question. I noticed some compressor has a shut off ball valve on
the outlet. Is this a good idea? I can control the flow via the regulator
what is the purpose of an additional shut off? Just insurance?

It's a matter of convenience.

Turning the airflow off via the regulator can be a pain because you
have to screw-screw-screw on the knob for several seconds, and mess up
your regulator setting in the process. Some regulator knobs are very
difficult to turn and are very hard on the wrist. The ball valve
allows you to quickly shut off the air in a split second and not lose
your regulator setting.

Just be sure to run the tool or plug in a blow gun to relieve the air
pressure in the hose before unplugging it from the compressor. There
is a lot of pressure and volume built up in that hose, and when you
unplug it all that pressure escapes through the open male end. That
blows all the loose crud in the area around and straight into your
eyes.

Reply:

And if you DON'T unscrew the regulator every time, the springs become
compressed, and lessen in their function. Every person who welds will tell
you that the instructions say to unscrew the regulator T handles EVERY time
you are putting the equipment away. Regulators last longer if you don't
leave them screwed down. It's just the facts, ma'am.

Steve