Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Aiwa AD6500 cassette deck, 1975

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:26:32 -0000, "N_Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Much the same, half wave, switches, cap that I repalced was 1000uF, 25V now
2000 uF. Switch contacts were the first thing I checked. No its a motor
problem and very critical on drive band properties, the main one and the
FF/REW one they both interact of course and only a narrow range of tensions
allowable. 11V in play and FF/REW now and speed constant and upto speed. I
had to convince myself it was a motor problem by connecting in 6volt ac at
the motor fuse and it made no difference because of the NEC upc1003 inside
the motor limiting current. I doubt these sorts of motors are available new
these days.

FWIW, I have an Aiwa AD6300 (not AD6500) which I could cannibalise for
spares. I'm in Australia, though.

- Franc Zabkar