Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default wire tracer

In article ,
"Bob M." wrote:

One thing that would be fun to use, but is nearly impossible to find, is a
"time domain reflectometer". A TDR measures the length of a wire by
connecting to one end of the wire. This would tell you how far away the
other end is, but it won't tell you where. Interestingly, it will also tell
you where the nicks and joints are in the line.

TDR's are highly specialized, very expensive pieces of equipment. Rental
houses won't have them and it's unlikely an electrician will either.

Well, my birthday is coming up in a few months ...

"honey, I don't think I'll be able to fix that wiring without a time
domain reflectometer."

Actually it seems there are several on ebay now. They do seem a tad
spendy. But what's with the $98 one?