Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Installing vinyl Soffit and fascia over existing wood ok?

theedudenator wrote:
I have a garage that was built in the late 1940's
It has the original wood soffit and fascia.
There is a few spots of rot on the soffit (soft spots)
But otherwise the wood is good.

I was planning on installing the vinyl directly over the wood.
Then installing gutters (there were never any gutters on the garage.

Anyone see any issues with this?

Well, it will finish rotting out the wood for you within a few years.
Based on the metal-skinned fascia here and on a few other houses I have
seen, I'm not a fan of wrapping wood with anything that holds condensate
or leaked water against it. If you must skin, make sure to leave weep
holes at the low points. And I'd lose the wood soffit boards, and simply
fit the ventilated panels, so as to not make a nice cozy split-level
home for bees and mice.

After 60 years, 'a few soft spots' isn't bad. I'd be more inclined to
replace a couple bad boards and/or stabilize the soft spots with expoxy,
and get a professional scrape, sand, prime and repaint done. Probably be
cheaper than vinyl. What is the rest of the garage? Bricks or clapboards?

I'll note in passing- I wouldn't skin or repaint till I looked at the
roof, including soaking it well with a hose and climbing up in garage
attic with a flashlight, to see where the water is getting into the
soffit from. Tearoff and reshingle may be step one, especially if there
is more than one layer up there. Always fix the leak FIRST.

--
aem sends...