Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] spamTHISbrp@yahoo.com is offline

Default de Laval turbine

On Mar 11, 2:19*pm, wrote:
On Mar 10, 11:22*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

Has anyone ever built a model of a de Laval turbine? I mean one with a real
de Laval nozzle, that put out some power.

Or do you know of a good text about them? Most are either too simple or
they're too abstract on the engineering theory side.

I'd like to build a model of one, but not just a steam windmill. g I'd
like to have some real de Laval nozzles on it.

Thanks to any steamers who know about these motors.

--
Ed Huntress

IIRC, Lindsay had some old reprints and archive.org had some stuff
buried in their old steam power books. *Some of the older books are
lighter on the math and heavier on the practice, intended more for the
guys that had to maintain them. *The impulse turbine is kind of dead,
the electric motor took over for running the stuff they used to use it
for, haven't seen mention of them except as historical objects in any
recent texts. *When you shrink to model sizes, subtle curves in full-
size practice start resembling straight lines anyway.

Stan

Yeah, but
supersonic steam jet +
rocket nozzles +
linear equiv. speed of the rotor at about 1/2 the steam jet speed =
lotsa fun!

Where else are you going to get that much excitement with 1 moving
part?

Dave