Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Air Distribution

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:03:18 -0500, the infamous "Mike Henry"
scrawled the following:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
snip

P.S. I have seen other shops use PVC also, and they said they never had
any problems.

Maybe that's because the ones that did have a problem are now 6 feet under.

Whadda maroon! I've worked in shops (new, inspected/stamped-off in
'83) with PVC air-lines and have seen the fittings and lines break
from damage when a chain pull let loose or when someone drove off with
a hose in the door. Nobody was ever hurt from the "horrible shrapnel"
of the "exploding PVC" you guys seem to worry about. Can you cite a
death report, Mikey? OSHA only shows one lacerated hand.
http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

BUT, I've read the OSHA warnings and I wouldn't use Sch 40 in a new
shop. HF has 100' PVC-jacketed hose for ten bucks. Why use hard lines
at all, unless you have multiple taps going balls-out at the same
time? ABS is approved if one wants to save money. Just don't hit it
with anything while it's pressured up...

....or you'll be SIX FEET UNDER, right, Mikey?

--
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.