Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default clothes soaking after wash

On Mar 11, 7:38*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
nitroamos wrote:
Inspired by my recent success with this group in fixing my fridge, I'm
moving on to the next issue I'm facing... my washing machine. The
clothes come out soaking wet, so I have to wring them out before
putting them in the dryer, when then runs for hours.

Details:
Maytag Neptune front loading washing machine
Purchased by someone else circa Aug 99, so the motor is still under
the 10 yr warranty
Model # MAH4000AWW
Serial # 40279379WQ

Symptoms:
* clothes are still soaking. sometimes, after taking out the clothes,
there's a bit of standing water left. i don't mean that my clothes are
damp... i mean that something like my sweatshirt couldn't absorb any
*more* water.
* when I come back a couple weeks for my next washing, the machine
smells like stagnant water, so i pull the hose out of the drain pipe,
and bringing it lower than the machine, I let all the water out before
starting my next load.
* I don't know if the machine is spinning, because it's front loading,
i don't know how to find out for sure. i can hear it making noises
like it might be spinning, but it doesn't really sound like other
machines i've heard. perhaps if there's still water, it won't spin as
fast anyway...
* the clothes seem clean anyway, and not soapy. e.g. when i wring them
out, it's clean water that's running off.
* the hose is connected to a drain pipe that is about the height of
the machine, and there are no obvious kinks or anything. although, i
haven't pulled the machine all the way out of the recess for a closer
inspection.

So... it seems like the problem might be a faulty pump, but I can't
find any advice online to help me know for sure. I found the part for
sale online for ~40$, but i don't want to buy that if that's not the
problem... but if it is, can anybody reassure me that it's easy to do
the replacement myself?

any advice on how to figure out what the problem is???

Sounds more like a switch not turning on the pump during the spin/rinse
cycle.

You can open the door during the suspect time period by defeating the door
interlock switch - usually by poking something the size of a pencil into a
hole in the door frame.- Hide quoted text -

But its a front loader.