Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default duty cycle of fridge?

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Bought myself a new gadget
the other day,
one of those wireless thermometer thingys that also records
max and min.

Sounds like fun. Are you an engineer?

Does it show that badly? (I *am* an engineer by degree at least, if not
practicing)

The actual impetus for buying gadget was a) it's cheap and b) it
incorporates this little alarm thingy that beeps when the temp. in
either the fridge or freezer goes "out of range" which I thought would
be a useful thing to have (hey, a $20 electronic gadget is cheaper than
a new fridge; I figured if I could verify that fridge was operating
correctly then I could with confidence not purchase a new one for a good
long time) However, the default settings are the NSF recommendations
(fridge: 33-40F; freezer: 0F or below) and it appears that at least for
the fridge I cannot enable the alarm as the temp has varied both above
and below the set points without me playing with the setting. I *could*
jigger with the alarm settings, but I'm going to let it ride for a
couple days before doing so to see what happens. In any case I am
wondering if this is the Beginning of the End for said fridge - it is
probably already past its design life; while I have a habit of letting
things run until they die, green, slimy roast beef is not an appealing
foodstuff, no matter how much horseradish you slather on it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel