Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stuart Wheaton Stuart Wheaton is offline

Default Air Distribution

Bob La Londe wrote:
Most shops I have seen use iron pipe for air, but I was just looking at
a couple on-line specs sheets on PVC and it looks like if I were to
distribute air at 125 PSI in my shop using 1" Schedule 40 PVC I would
have about a 30% safety margin at the worst case scenario. That's based
on 120F operating temperature. While yes it does hit 120F here in the
desert once in a great while I don't think its ever gotten above 105 in
the shop building. Better safe than sorry though.

Wadda ya think?

P.S. I have seen other shops use PVC also, and they said they never had
any problems.

The only real issue I see is that "wish this hose was 2 inches longer"
factor. I could probably mitigate that by using brass fittings at the
ends and securing them properly at the wall, and of course the fact that
there would be air all over the shop instead of in one corner would help
quite a lot.

As others have already said, very bad idea, the pressure listed on the
pipe is liquid pressure, which is a very different animal, (thus the
reason hydro testing uses water for pressure testing) a very small
amount of non-compressible water has to leak before the pressure falls
to zero, not so with gases.

If you feel compelled to use plastic, ABS is rated for gas pressure.

Stuart