Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Air Distribution

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:47:04 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote:

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:30:09 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Most shops I have seen use iron pipe for air, but I was just looking at
a couple on-line specs sheets on PVC and it looks like if I were to
distribute air at 125 PSI in my shop using 1" Schedule 40 PVC I would
have about a 30% safety margin at the worst case scenario. That's based
on 120F operating temperature. While yes it does hit 120F here in the
desert once in a great while I don't think its ever gotten above 105 in
the shop building. Better safe than sorry though.

(snip)

Its one of the things I do to make a living..and Im quite qood at it.
Ive turned down jobs where they wanted PVC. I dont want the liability.

I kinda think of this as "if the customer wants to kill themselves on a
piece of equipment, _they_ can build it".

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product A warped piece of wood
must be steamed and forced before it is made straight; a metal blade
must be put to the whetstone before it becomes sharp. Since the nature
of people is bad, to become corrected they must be taught by teachers
and to be orderly they must acquire ritual and moral principles."
—Sun Tzu

Orderliness as a virtue? If that's not a mistranslation, I'm doomed!

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com