Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air Distribution

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:30:09 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Most shops I have seen use iron pipe for air, but I was just looking at a
couple on-line specs sheets on PVC and it looks like if I were to distribute
air at 125 PSI in my shop using 1" Schedule 40 PVC I would have about a 30%
safety margin at the worst case scenario. That's based on 120F operating
temperature. While yes it does hit 120F here in the desert once in a great
while I don't think its ever gotten above 105 in the shop building. Better
safe than sorry though.

Wadda ya think?

P.S. I have seen other shops use PVC also, and they said they never had any
problems.

The only real issue I see is that "wish this hose was 2 inches longer"
factor. I could probably mitigate that by using brass fittings at the ends
and securing them properly at the wall, and of course the fact that there
would be air all over the shop instead of in one corner would help quite a
lot.

I had to replace all the PVC air plumbing in the last shop I worked in
because it started to explode. Made one hell of a mess and lots of
noise. We used a special plastic pipe for air that was really
expensive. No I wonder if maybe PEX would work well.
ERS