Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric water heater -- non-simultaneous?

On Mar 10, 2:00*pm, Davej wrote:
Had a bad lower element in my water heater and noticed that the
diagram indicated "non-simultaneous" operation. I'm just a little
curious about this scheme. Seems odd to me because the hot water is
going to rise to the top of the tank either way, right?

Yes, but you want the water at the top to have the first priority when
it comes to being turned on, because that's the water that's going to
go out of the tank first. Once that's up to temp, then in non-
simultaneous operation, the uppers shuts off and the lower turns on.