Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default what is the differences between whole house surge protectors?

westom wrote:
On Mar 9, 9:20 am, wrote:
Maybe because the central office doesn't consist of equipment that is
plugged into AC outlets like you'd find in a home? And actually
the telcos do use a tiered approach to protection and do not just rely
on a single point of supression.

Bud claims power strip protectors clamp to nothing. He did not yet
say it.

I have never said it - it is poor w's sound bite, used because he can't
figure out how plug-in suppressors work.

I repeat what the IEEE and NIST guides say. Both say plug-in suppressors
are effective.

(see manufacturer spec numbers that Bud always
forgets to post).

The lie repeated. Specs were in a previous post (and many previous threads).

And can only protect by magically stopping and
absorbing surge energy.

The village idiot refuses to understand the explanation given in the
IEEE guide starting pdf page 40.

You again misrepresent what I said. I did not say power strips do
not work.

"A protector is only as effective as its earth ground."
"No earth ground means no effective protection."

Since you know better, then list those different types of surges.
Define how each is protected from.

One of w's favorite manufacturers, SquareD, does not "list those
different types of surges". (I don't know if any of them do.) That is
because "those different types of surges" is nonsense. Plug-in
suppressors protect from all surge modes.

And w has never explained how common mode surges (hot and neutral lift
from earth) get past the neutral-ground-earth bond required in all US
services.

Either *assumed* a power strip somehow stops
and absorbs surges, or makes surges magically disappear. Show us how
a protector stops what three miles of sky could not. Why do you never
do that?

The village idiot refuses to understand the explanation given in the
IEEE guide starting pdf page 40.

Install one 'whole house' protector for only 99.5% protection

As Martzloff explains, service panel suppressors do not limit the
voltage between power and phone/cable wires. Martzloff suggests that is
the main cause of equipment damage.

But service panel suppressors are a good idea.

The suppressor the OP chose includes protection for cable and phone
wires and covers almost all sources of surge damage. (This is the type
suggested by Tom Horne in a recent thread.)

All appliances contain
surge protection as defined by industry standards.

Never seen - what "industry standards" require "all appliances" to
"contain surge protection"?

Or Keison in a discussion of the British standard for surge
protection BS6551:

Keison is yet another manufacturer that recommends using plug-in suppressors

It appears only one of us is posting with extensive experience and
knowledge from numerous professionals.

That would be trader and me.

We rely on the IEEE, NIST, many of w's favorite manufacturers, and
other sources, all of which say plug-in suppressors are effective.

Compare that to w's sources that say plug-in suppressors are NOT
effective - there are none.

You posted subject accusations
- and still not one single manufacturer spec from a power strip
protector. Where is that spec?

Ho-hum - the lie repeated. Specs were in a previous post (and many

Who do we believe? Subject claims from an electrician

Apparently w thinks trader is an electrician. I don't think so. But he
is an electrical engineer.

In addition to being a master electrician I am also an electrical engineer.

A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

The required statement of religious belief in earthing. The question is
not earthing - everyone is for it. The question is whether plug-in
suppressors are effective.

Still missing - another lunatic that agrees with w that plug-in
suppressors do NOT work.

Still missing - answers simple questions:
- What "industry standards" require "all appliances" to "contain surge
protection"?
- Why do the only 2 examples of protection in the IEEE guide use plug-in
suppressors?
- Why does the NIST guide says plug-in suppressors are "the easiest
solution"?
- Why does the NIST guide say "One effective solution is to have the
consumer install" a multiport plug-in suppressor?
- How would a service panel suppressor provide any protection in the
IEEE example, pdf page 42?
- Why does the IEEE guide say for distant service points "the only
effective way of protecting the equipment is to use a multiport
[plug-in] protector"?
- Why did Martzloff say in his paper "One solution. illustrated in this
paper, is the insertion of a properly designed [multiport plug-in surge
suppressor]"?
- Why does the IEEE Emerald book include plug-in suppressors as an
effective surge protection device?
- Why does “responsible” manufacturer SquareD says "electronic
equipment may need additional protection by installing plug-in
[suppressors] at the point of use"?

For real science read the IEEE and NIST guides. Both say plug-in
suppressors are effective.

--
bud--