Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default DVD Player and poor tracking

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 09:24:33 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Samsung manufactured a very inexpensive VHS/DVD player under the
label, Go-Video

This unit displays very strange tracking on a favorite DVD. It seems
to 'lock up' when it gets to the track. Sometimes can't go passed the
scenes once into them. That includes PLAY, FF, and even super FF.
When the player gets to this section it just doesn't seem to go
further.

Try the disc on your PC. I'm not suggesting that you copy it, but DVD
Decrypter will report read errors if the disc has bad blocks. IIRC, if
it starts to struggle, the read speed will be reduced.

You may be able to detect whether you have difficulty reading the
second layer of a dual layer (DVD-9) disc by watching for abrupt
changes in read speed in the case of a Parallel Track Path (PTP) disc,
or slow reduction in read speed for an Opposite Track Path (OTP) disc.
OTP discs start reading from inside out on the first layer and then
outside in for the second layer, whereas PTP discs read from inside
out on both layers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD#Dual_layer_recording

You could also watch the file sizes -- there would be approximately
4.3GB of data on the first layer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD#DVD_capacity

- Franc Zabkar