Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Air Distribution

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Most shops I have seen use iron pipe for air, but I was just looking at a
couple on-line specs sheets on PVC and it looks like if I were to
distribute air at 125 PSI in my shop using 1" Schedule 40 PVC I would have
about a 30% safety margin at the worst case scenario. That's based on
120F operating temperature. While yes it does hit 120F here in the desert
once in a great while I don't think its ever gotten above 105 in the shop
building. Better safe than sorry though.

Wadda ya think?

P.S. I have seen other shops use PVC also, and they said they never had
any problems.

I was told this is not safe. So, I used copper tubing. Very easy to add a
drop, just cut and sweat in a "T". Its worked well for 20 years now.

Karl