Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus26567 Ignoramus26567 is offline

Default Air Distribution

You cannot use regular Sch. 40 PVC pipe for compressed air, as it is
known to explode. The cracks in it run faster than the speed of sound
in compressed air, therefore the appearance is that your entire pipe
exploded at once.

http://www.google.com/search?q=pvc+p...+air+explosion

On 2009-03-10, Bob La Londe wrote:
Most shops I have seen use iron pipe for air, but I was just looking at a
couple on-line specs sheets on PVC and it looks like if I were to distribute
air at 125 PSI in my shop using 1" Schedule 40 PVC I would have about a 30%
safety margin at the worst case scenario. That's based on 120F operating
temperature. While yes it does hit 120F here in the desert once in a great
while I don't think its ever gotten above 105 in the shop building. Better
safe than sorry though.

Wadda ya think?

P.S. I have seen other shops use PVC also, and they said they never had any
problems.

The only real issue I see is that "wish this hose was 2 inches longer"
factor. I could probably mitigate that by using brass fittings at the ends
and securing them properly at the wall, and of course the fact that there
would be air all over the shop instead of in one corner would help quite a
lot.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/